G. Fred Atwell, DDS
G. Fred Atwell is a native of Pensacola, Florida. He is married to Susan Atwell and they have two sons, Tony Atwell, CRNP, Anniston, Alabama, and Brian Atwell, DVM, MZS, Maui, HI. Dr. Atwell and Susan have 3 granddaughters and 1 grandson. Dr. Atwell graduated from Emory University in 1968 with a BA degree in Chemistry. In 1972 he graduated Emory University School of Dentistry and then entered the US Naval Reserves. He was stationed at Pensacola Naval Hospital, Pensacola, Florida till 1974.
Dr. Atwell entered private practice of general dentistry in Jay, Florida 1974 to 1978. He then did his oral and maxillofacial surgery residency at Emory, and Grady Memorial Hospital in Atlanta 1978-1981. Upon completion of his residency, Dr. Atwell opened his Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery practice in Anniston, Alabama. The Carrollton, Georgia satellite office opened in 1988.
Traveling is Dr. & Mrs. Atwell’s favorite past time. He does enjoy reading, painting, sculpting, and the occasional stained glass project.
- Certified by the American Board of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons
- American Dental Association
- Alabama Dental Association
- Fifth District Dental Society
- Calhoun County Dental Society
- Alabama Society of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons
- Georgia Society of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons
- Fellow in American Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons
Education and Training
- 1964 to 1968 - Emory University Atlanta, Georgia B.A.in chemistry
- 1968 to 1972 - Emory University D.D.S. School of Dentistry Atlanta, Georgia
- 1972 to 1974 - Naval Reserves Pensacola Naval Hospital Pensacola, Florida
- 1974 to 1979 - Private Practice General Dentistry Jay, Florida
- 1979 to 1981 - Oral & Maxillofacial Surgery Residency Emory University Atlanta, Georgia
- 1981 to Present - Private Practice Oral & Maxillofacial Surgery Anniston, Alabama
- 1988 to Present - Satellite Office Oral & Maxillofacial Surgery Carrollton, Georgia
- Regional Medical Center Board
- Stringfellow Memorial Hospital
- The Surgery Center in Oxford
- Tanner Medical Center Inc